Saturday 7 September 2013

Pilates and me!


Pilates is a body conditioning routine that may help build flexibility, muscle strength, and endurance in the legs, abdominals, arms, hips, and back. It puts emphasis on spinal and pelvic alignment, breathing, and developing a strong core or center, and improving coordination and balance. Pilates' system allows for different exercises to be modified in range of difficulty from beginning to advanced. Intensity can be increased over time as the body conditions and adapts to the exercises.
Pilates improves muscle tone, balances musculature, supports correct posture, and teaches to move with ease and grace. There is an increasing number of studies which are showing the benefits of Pilates in the rehab population. It is useful for improving balance, lumbar stabilization and flexibility, lower back pain,and pelvic floor dysfunction. Wikipedia

With some trepidation 3 weeks ago I started pilates. I went for an initial consultation wondering whether I would be able to do anything. The combination of wrecked joints and damaged muscles along with a winged scapula and a mastectomy meant that I wasn’t at all sure my body would do what an instructor wanted. Vicky patiently went through some of the exercises that are included in a pilates session. She adapted them carefully for me and amazingly I was able to do them all. I am now having 3 1:1 sessions with Hannah before starting classes. Already my arm is easier to move and today I ran up the stairs – not something I have done for 4 years! After our holidays I will be joining a pilates class – that sounds good doesn’t it. If you have would like to join me or another class I can really recommend

Ocean Sports Therapy http://www.oceansportstherapy.com

Vicky, Cindy and Hannah are all lovely. (Vicky is Debs’ sister)

It is really good to be doing some exercise even if it is only slowly. I think the combination of pilates, swimming and hopefully some walking will be a good combination for now.  

This weekend is quieter than the last few! Flowers today and then some cleaning and ironing. I am hoping to do some craft in my new craft room which is looking messy already! Paul is promming – it is the last night on Saturday. He has enjoyed many wonderful concerts this year particularly Wagnar. Sunday I am bookstalling and getting Ben’s stuff ready for school return on Monday – where has the summer gone? Next weekend we are off to Cornwall – I can’t wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment